Saturday, June 27, 2009

Clay Pots

I am at a bit of a loss for what to write about lately so I thought that I might share some photos with you. There is a theme to the pictures. Everyone who is photographed is a patient (or a patients family member) of the Home Based Care team. Additionally, they are recipients of food parcels provided by an organization called Claypotts. We distribute the food to our patients and their families during our home visits. The food consists of mealie meal (which is ground corn), peanuts, beans, salt, sugar, cooking oil and milk. It varies from patient to patient, who receives what but it is some combination of what is listed as well as corn soya from the World Food Program. All of this is provided by an anonymous donor through the Claypotts Trust.

The patients are always pleased to receive the food during our home visits. Often donated money from our (David and my) family and friends goes towards supplementing the food distributed by the HBC team. It never ceases to be heartbreaking to see so many people without enough food to feed themselves. So, I want to take this opportunity to thank the Claypotts Trust and all of the rest of you who have provided donations for food for our patients. Know that your donations are greatly appreciated and very much needed. I hope you enjoy the photos and captions.





This is a typical pot used by the Swazi's to cook in. Most cooking is done outdoors, either in the open or in a stick and stone structure. In the colder weather many people cook inside their huts to keep warm and yes it gets very smoky.















An elderly woman with mealie meal and corn soya sitting next to a water barrel.


















A young boys carrying his 2 liters of milk to his homestead in the back ground. The milk is most often consumed after it has spoiled. This is a personal preference and due to the lack of electricity to keep it cool.











A couple of chilren in front of their homestead. We were giving out Comfort Dolls this day as well.

















More children on their homestead. It was a rainy day a couple of months ago. As usual, the girls do most of the work (carrying the food here), while the boys are at play.













It was a cold day when we visited this gogo, that is why it is so smoky in her hut. Unfortunately, she died before our next visit to her community.













All the children are very cute but this young girl was one of the most adorable. She was a bit terrified of me so I had to keep a good distance from her although she did like getting her picture taken.
















This young patient is one of my favorites. He has the best smile and he is very affectionate. As you can see, he was very pleased about getting the lubise (milk).













This girl had a baby boy about 8 weeks ago. She asked me if I would like to be the baby's father. I thought it best to decline. We made a home visit to her homestead yesterday and so far the baby appears to be healthy.













Old mukhulu (grandfather) here has many wives. I could not get a clear answer about whether this woman is one of his wives or not but it appears that way from the way she cares for him.














This old gogo had quite a rash all over her body when I first saw her. I prescribed some medication that worked pretty well and now she is always excited to see me. She claps her hands and says hallelujah whenever we make a home visit.











This young man runs to greet the truck whenever we visit. Our visits are unplanned although about every month or so. Even so, he hears the HBC truck coming and is there to greet us at the gate of his family's homestead whenever we visit.













David photographed with a family and their supplies. The littlest child standing is holing soap that we distribute whenever it is available.











These children were living with their father who has active TB. They have now been relocated to live with another family member so I do not see them any longer. Their's is one of the poorest homesteads that I have seen, so I am pleased that they are living elsewhere.










Peace,
Scott

4 comments:

Melissa Hart said...

Great photos. Why don't the boys work? It is hard, as a N. American, to understand that.

Jim said...

scott, love & hugs to you !!

Mandy said...

You inspire me! x

Pete said...

Hi Scott,

Great blog! I'm a 4th year medical student at UW-Madison and have been looking for an opportunity abroad in Feb/Mar of 2010. I heard great reviews about the Swaziland experience at Good Shepard from a pediatrics resident here. I have tried some contact emails but everything I've sent has bounced back. The most up to date info I've found is your and David's blogs. Do you know who the current contact person is for the student rotation?

Thanks,
Pete
norstedt@gmail.com