Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gogo gets a new home.


Gogo, sitting on a heap of sand that will be used in the construction of her new home. She is looking the best that I have ever seen her. Since my arrival here I have seen Gogo three times, usually she is quite grumpy, wanting to know when her new home was going to start being built. Well that day has come and Gogo is the very happiest anyone on the team has ever seen her.










This will be her new home, one door, one window and four walls. Her homestead has about 10 or 12 people living on it in several different huts, they are various extended family members, many of which I have yet to meet.









This is Gogo's current residence; the roof leaks, it is slanting a bit and the walls are about to crumble. Her new home is coming just in time. It is being built by funds raised for the Home Based Care Program at Good Shepherd Hospital. The construction should take about six weeks, depending upon the weather. The biggest chore was getting the blocks, sand and concrete delivered, now the construction is well underway. Often we (the HBC team) drop off the guys doing the construction on our way to making home visits in and around the area.
As you can see, her new home is about ten feet away from her current hut.

David and I are going to Johannesburg tomorrow for the weekend to pick up Karen Wong, our first visitor from abroad! We are thrilled that she is coming and both of us are looking forward to showing her our new life here in Swaziland. We hope to do a fair amount of traveling over the next month with her including Cape Town and Kruger National Park in South Africa.
I am hoping to be able to keep up with my blogging on a more frequent basis. Getting to the internet cafe has been more challenging than ever for me this past month or so, but I shall try to do better. Anyways, I hope you are all well. David and I are doing fine.
Peace,
Scott

4 comments:

Richard Stewart said...

Scott I will not call you this weekend for I am going up to the 100 acre camp with Uncle Jim Casson and his brother Bob. We need to see how the camp is and make sure nobody has broken into it, like the past. will call you next weekend. Love Dad

Jim said...

scott, happy reunion with karen !!! love the pics of gogo & her soon-to-be new home !!! love & hugs, jim

Mark Murphy said...

Sending you more LOVE than you can even imagine, ya hear!

David Allyn said...

And I'm stressing out about logging in. Geesh! :~)

Trust you guys are enjoying your visit with Mz. Wong. Missing you much and wishing we were there too!