Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The impromptu clinic.


Well, it is practically a thousand degrees today. The heat from the day woke me a 5:15am, yes much too early. The sun has been beating down on us all day today with little relief in the shade or from the lack luster breeze. We were able to take refuge from direct sun while we parked beneath a large tree and had our lunch. I had my usual power bar (or two) and some gatorade, thanks to Karen Wong's gorgeous care package. I know that many of you will take great joy in knowing that I am hot and sweaty (that's part I do not mind) and dirty from head to toe, even my finger nails are filthy, which is quite distressing. We are without water again, since yesterday afternoon. David was kind enough to pour a bucket of water, (that we had saved for such circumstances), over my head this morning so that I wouldn't frighten off my patients with a very slick looking hairdo. Oh, did I mention that David and I cut each other's hair a couple of weeks ago? It might be best if I find a barber before 6 weeks have passed. David will have to report on his own hair cut I am a bit too bias. I must say that it was really nice to cut each others hair, something that is certainly out of the ordinary for us and kind of fun but admittedly more stressful than fun.
Anyways, we had a good day in Home Based Care today. My recent goal with the team has been to motivate them to move along at a quicker pace in the morning so that we can see our patients and return to the hospital at a reasonable hour. Yesterday and today I was successful, so God willing the trend will continue. It takes a lot of coaxing and deep breathing (which is 'perfamula' in Siswati, one of my few physical assessment words) to make it all happen but it really was rewarding to get back by 4pm yesterday and today. Much better than the two hours later on our usual day. Tea time is a very very important event in the morning here in Swaziland, as it is many other places, so I have been getting the team to go have their tea earlier while I continue to prepare the truck for the day. There are numerous potential obstacles to leaving on time which do not include the direct team so when we leave on time is is truly a small miracle. Possibly Mother Theresa is helping me out, which will lead to her early canonization I would hope.
We saw 25 patients both today and yesterday. The particularly nice thing about today was that a group of patients saw us parked at a homestead in their area and came to us rather than us having to drive from one homestead to the next. We had seen a husband and wife with HIV and then walked about 200 feet to the next homestead to see an old 'gogo' (grandmother) with hypertension (she was one of two patients today that we saw that was not HIV+). So, when we returned to the truck which was parked in the first famalies homestead, 7 other patients had gathered. We basically had our own mobile clinic there on the ground under a shade tree. (My very favorite tree here is the 'acacia tree', it looks like an umbrella.) A couple patients brought their own mats and the rest of just sat or kneeled on the ground while I did one assessment after another (keeping it all orderly, of course) and perscribing some very basic meds. I have been quite surprised how the patients here seem to have very few opportunisitc infections to go along with their TB and HIV/AIDS, which, is of course, enough to kill them all on their own. The impromtu clinic was actually quite enjoyable, most patients think that I am a doctor, some days I clarify, others, especially hot days, I figure no harm done. After about 45 minutes of assessments and drug handouts it was then time to hand out the food. Which I must say is quite nice, everyone is so grateful and you go away feeling like Santa Claus. I find it very interesting how defferential the team has become to me in regards to assessments and choosing medications to give to the patients. Yes, I am certainly learning a lot but I have a long way to go.
The most frequent medication that we give out and in no particular order or quantity are; vitamins, Bactrim, paracetemol (tylenol), diruetics, aldomet (antihypertensive), cough syrup, Penicillin VK, ibuprofen, tylenol with codeine, aspirin, mebendazole a deworming medications, flagyl (for paracites), an anti-itch medication that I cannot remember the name of right now, ketconazole (when we have it), and nystatin. Many times I am at a complete loss of what to give the patient so we encourage them to go to the hospital and if they cannot not afford it, which is the norm, we try and give them bus fare if we have any money available.
One clarification, the sidonono (corn soya) is from the World Food Program and is a gift from Japan, not produced in Japan, it is actually produced in South Africa.
Alright, I am off in search of a shower now or even a sponge bath. Be well and keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Also, in general I am able to sign into my personal email account, which is ubescott@gmail.com, if you care to send a private email as opposed to placing a comment on this blog site. Either and/or both are very much appreciated. Glen F. it was so wonderful to hear from you and I hope life in China continues to be rewarding.
David and I continue to do well and more importantly, moving day is Saturday, back to Mabuda Farms!
Peace,
Scott

4 comments:

Stephen B. said...

Lordy lord I sure hope Mother T. is able to meet all Swaziland's needs. I am so excited to read your blogs and it sounds like you are really hitting your stride. They are so fortunate to have your medical and organizational skills. What a gift. It is also great to hear that you are being given this enormous gift/opportunity to be of service and to learn such a tremendous amount in such a short period of time. I will now be less cynical when I see commercials requesting money for causes on TV. Who is that fat blond from All In The Family who was blubbering on for relief Sally....? Anyway Next time I see her I am sending a check. Well maybe I will trust you to direct my charitable giving and cut her out. Compared to our Federal Gvt I am Fort Knox. I don't have any debt other than the debt those knuckle heads have created. VNSNY is chugging along and although I may be tired at the end of the day after seeing 4-5 patients I think I had better quit my belly aching and start skipping around as happy as a pretty penny. I hope you are not giving jeanne dennis any ideas about having her staff see 20-30 patients a day. That could be brutal. I am glad they come to "meet you under the acacia". It sounds like the name of your first book. Love to you both from 2 of your FANS

Stephen & Gina

Jim said...

ahhh, Dr. Scott...or is it Santa Claus Scott...or more appropriately, Saint Scott !! ok, we'll settle on Scott the Barber !!! wow, i'm amazed that you are learning new hair cutting skills under the shade trees of swaziland. i know a bit about the stress of haircutting...i often cut my elderly n'bor's hair & despite the fact that it is kinda fun, it is, indeed, a nervous endeavor !! hmmmmm, but i'm still envisioning a hot & sweaty scotty :) love, thoughts, prayers, blessings to you & david...your Beautiful Work is leaving a mark in my heart !!! xoxo

Paul Metzler said...

Dear Santa Claus --

I am glad you can do so many good things, despite the overwhelming ocean of needs. I, too, am haunted by the image of the four orphaned children returning to the bush. Hopefully you, blessed by Mother Theresa, will find them again and be able to do even more.

I have a friend, India Howell, who started an orphanage in Tanzania which is probably too far away to be too useful to you, but maybe sometime you can collaborate:
http://www.tanzanianchildrensfund.org/contact_us.htm

Take care and keep those great posts coming.

Paul

Ann Peters said...

Dear Scott,
I'm a bozo about blogging or computers, but Andre has assisted me and now finally I can write. All so fascinating -- you are doing amazing work. I'm going crazy here with no way of getting in touch regularly with you two. Am hoping to call this weekend. Two letters have gone out, but I fear neither has arrived yet. We miss you guys so much -- you can't imagine.

Love the blog. Keep writing. And keep up the incredible work.

Ann & Andre